View Single Post
Old 10-27-2006, 09:02 AM   #55
yvanleterrible
When books can fly!
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini in my lunchbox.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon
Not at all.

I completely agree.

But Publishers don't just sort out the bad. They make a judgement based on whether or not the book will sell well. That's all. The idea that publishers, in general, know good literature from bad is false.

What will happen, as what usually happens in a capitalistic society that allows for innovation, is that many services will arise that will "grade" the self-published eBooks.

Unlike the current publishers, they will not base their rating on how well the book sells but rather on how good the book is.

So we get the same filtering. But now we get filters based, not on the sell-ability of the book, but on how good the book is based on who rates it.
Total total totally agree.
Yes there is a lot of garbage out there, but I'm a reader enough to figure out what is.
What I look for usually is a writer's writer. Just like a musician's musician. The top in the field. The one you look up to, who will teach you, not the master chef who follows the capitalistic prechewed recipe.
I believe a "career" author does have a certain knowlege about how to find the hints that denotes a good text. The writer Coop is a good idea.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote