View Single Post
Old 04-29-2024, 12:31 AM   #15
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I rsync my Calibre installation to a remote computer a couple times a day. Been doing this for years. Never ever had a problem, even when I accidentally left Calibre running on the source machine.

My specific set up:
  • My primary Calibre is running on my desktop computer - Linux - as an installed application
  • I rsync my primary Calibre to a remote Linux server daily via a cron script and also manually after I add any new books
  • The server runs "Calibre Web" (this is third-party software, not supplied by Calibre) in a Docker container
  • The server directory that holds the rsync'ed Calibre data is mounted read-only to the Calibre Web Docker container
  • Calibre Web is configured to not allow any updates to the Calibre data it serves (updates wouldn't work anyway, since the data is mounted read-only, but turning off the functionality prevents error messages from being displayed)
  • After the rsync completes, the script (that does the rsync) restarts the Calibre Web Docker container to pick up the changes
  • All external access to my Calibre library accesses Calibre Web on the server via the Docker container using https that is reverse-proxied by Nginx (also running in a Docker container)
  • Both my primary Calibre installation on my desktop and the rsync'ed copy on the server are backed up daily to a remote backup server, also Linux, using software named UrBackup, which I believe uses rsync under-the-hood for the backup
Calibre should not be running when you do the rsync IMHO. However, when I have accidentally left it running I have never experienced any problems. Even if I did, I could just shut down Calibre and re-run the rsync. Note that I am doing a one-way rsync from my desktop computer to my server computer. Rsync never updates anything on the desktop end, it only copies data over to the server. I run my primary Calibre instance on my desktop "on demand" only. When I'm done doing what I'm doing with it, I shut it down. I have no need for it to be running continuously.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote