View Single Post
Old 04-22-2024, 09:39 AM   #6
akerbeltz
akerbeltz began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Excessive hyphenation is a problem on a small screen like a phone with a larger font.
It's a readability issue in any language where hyphenation is not common (like Scottish Gaelic) or obeys specific rules. ReadEra just puts them ANYwhere... that's hard to read even in English

Quote:
At least the Celtic languages* work better on ereaders
As long as you stay away from the Gaelic ampersand ⁊ I suppose. Not sure how Welsh ŵ, ŷ display...

Quote:
Many (probably most) ereaders and apps are broken in some way or another.
Yuck. You know, I had a feeling but didn't want to make sweeping statements, so thanks for spelling it out!

Code:
<p>The following word must not be <span class="ib">hyphenated</span></p>
Right, but I can't very well set that for EVERY multi-character word in the book

Quote:
What happens if a long word in a larger font on a small screen doesn't fit? Is it truncated?
Gaelic doesn't have really long words, not like German. So it's not really an issue.

So basically, the answer is you can't, at least not in an efficient manner from the publishers point of view and if the hyphenation of a particular ereader is driving you nuts in your languages, you have to hunt around for one which is marginally less bad? LOL how can an entire industry operate on such a shoogly peg? And we thought VHS was bad!

The Google reader and Kindle don't seem to obey non-breaking hyphens but they don't seem to box them either, so I'm going to leave those in and pray that nobody complains.

Thanks for all the responses!

Last edited by akerbeltz; 04-22-2024 at 09:42 AM.
akerbeltz is offline   Reply With Quote