Thread: Does kobo spy?
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2024, 07:29 PM   #35
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For me, removing DRM from books I own is acceptable. I was burned before when I lost access to DRMed books such as when Microsoft shut down the servers that managed DRM for their .lit format ebooks.

If the book is a loan (library, Kobo Plus, Kindle Unlimited, whatever), I do not remove DRM. Personally, I also don't pirate books since I prefer to encourage authors to continue writing books. That I do some paid work for authors also comes into that decision.

As I mentioned before, Kobo only transfers pages read, time spent reading and finished status for sideloaded books. While that may change in the future, that would open a can of worms for Kobo since adding any identifiable information would require them to allow users to access that information.

When it comes to ebook piracy, please don't admit to it. Mobileread has strict policies on ebook piracy.

Last edited by DNSB; 04-11-2024 at 07:31 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote