Thread: Sigil niggles
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2024, 08:21 AM   #19
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwes View Post
Would this work for stopping the flash?
As far as I know, a QWebEngineView (the QtWebEngine browser widget - not a regular widget) uses asynchronous updating and painting using a different rendering process that is gpu intensive. We can not suspend and then un-suspend big updates any more than a Web Browser can. The "web page must be fully loaded before it can scroll. We can only hide then show it but that creates an even larger flash.

Again, try *not* editing the entire ebook as one file. Try Splitting it into normal chapters as that makes things work much better. Use Find and Replace to insert Sigil SplitMarkers just before each chapter start and then use Sigil Split at Markers. Turn off auto red squiggly spell checking.

Or invest in a better machine. On my M2 Mac Studio, with well designed even huge epubs I rarely see any reload delay of any kind. Even repeatedly working near the bottom of the xhtml file.

Another approach that many people use is to do almost all of their major writing and text editing in a Word Processor (not in Sigil) with proper styles set. Then when ready export it as html into Sigil (or use one of Sigil's input plugins). Once in Sigil, split it, structure it, add Metadata, make and do final clean-ups, review it, spellcheck it etc. This process works better than actually trying to write the book in Sigil. Sigil is not designed for writing books. A Word processor is. Sigil is designed to edit epubs.

Sorry.

Last edited by KevinH; 03-25-2024 at 09:08 AM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote