View Single Post
Old 04-26-2009, 05:45 AM   #26
rgeorg
Fanatic
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3(2x), DXG, Fire HD, KOBO Glo
I just got a Classmate Gen 3

Well, my new (rebranded) Classmate 9" tablet is sitting on the desk. After playing around with the wireless for awhile I started installing reader software (msReader basically was all that not on the system) - and viewed books in rotated tablet mode - very nice! All for 500 euros (including English version of XP Home!).

First, I'll admit that, living in Greece, the strength of the sunlight precludes anything except shade-reading. Also, I do 80% of my ebook reading indoors where there is electricity and a bit more weight doesn't matter. Most of this is in bed before sleeping - so a dimmed backlight is actually helpful and considerate of my husband. Portability issues are answered by my much-used .mp3 player and audiobooks - mostly when taking daily walks.

I haven't tested the battery capacity of the Classmate yet, but I will. I work in higher-education and the tablet appears to also be perfect for moodle (CMS) access, bringing presentations to class to display with a projector, simple note-taking (maybe?), and annotations of texts and papers. I have to test it out for awhile. If anyone is interested tell me and I'll post summary results.

I expect the Classmate will mostly replace my 7" netbook for ebook reading. However, I'll keep the Asus Eee around as I have a large battery installed + it was much less expensive and is great as a traveling companion.

I'd really like to buy an eReader device also - but I am having difficulty with the cost-value over my existing netbook solutions. I'll probably wait to see what the new crop of readers offer in the coming months.
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote