View Single Post
Old 02-07-2024, 03:32 PM   #38
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pata View Post
Mark Gurman mentioned early on that Apple was working on a native Books app for the Vision Pro so I was very disappointed that Apple doesn't seem to have released anything in time for launch. Not even a Beach immersive background so you can simulate lounging and reading?
Do you really want a beach scene with waves and such? I would not. I really don't want the app to be immersive, I can always move things out of the way to make it so.

Mojave Desert is perfect for me. There's also Yosemite (winter scene) and some up in the clouds thing in Hawaii, and White Sands NM. There will be others.

Quote:
Anyway the device/OS fundamentally doesn't seem complementary to reading books. Yes, it's the first headset with a high enough resolution to match retina eink and oled ereaders and tablets. But it's heavy, battery life is quite poor, FoV isn't great, and it's not designed to be used while moving. At the end of the day, the Vision Pro is a VR headset and I don't think it'll be as good as AR Glasses and regular ereaders for standard books.
Battery life is not that much of a concern. If you are reading you are not moving around, it is easy to plug into power or connect a power bank to extend time. Who needs FoV for reading?

I do not find it heavy. It's heavier than others (which I have not tried) but I do not find it uncomfortably so. My head is a lot heavier that it is. And my stiff neck has largely cleared up since I started using it. Good exercise apparently!

I walk around with it on, it is not an issue unless there is no light (they could have software turn on the front display to full white so you could see where you're going).

I've just been using read.amazon.com to read in Safari. I can't size Safari window as narrow as I'd like (I'm not a fan of 2 column) so I hope Amazon releases a VisionOS compatible Kindle app soon. At one point the (Mac) App Store said it supported VisionOS (with beta version of Kindle app).

Last edited by tomsem; 02-07-2024 at 03:38 PM.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote