View Single Post
Old 01-28-2024, 04:41 PM   #1
wold
Zealot
wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Lux 5, Libra 2, PRS-T2N
Workarounds for a Lux 4 with broken screen?

As some know, I fiddle a bit with PocketBooks tools for annotations and tools. For some time now I desired having a spare reader for testing, not needing to connect my Lux 5. Broken, or older (also nice for checking firmware compatibility), it's all OK.

So I got this Lux with a broken screen for 10 euros, a gamble. Advertised as a Lux 5, it turned out a Lux 4 - not such a issue, though I'd hoped to get either a spare mainboard or screen for my Lux 5 in the deal. The lux4 does support firmware 5.x.

As for the device, the screen was half functional as hoped. After fiddling with it, the lower half revived, showing the top half. As the touch isn't adjusted, navigating is half guesswork, using a Lux 5 next to it (running 6.7...) Doing so allowed enabling automatic PC connection (called PC-Link in 5.x). That turned out lucky, as by now the entire screen refuses to update. Sadly I didn't had the foresight to add annotations for testing with AVATeR, though testing book data with firmware 5.x is now possible, even without a working screen.

As for the question:
New screens are pricey, making buying a working second-hand or a new one more sensible. I do wonder if a VNC-like mode hooking into the ink's screenbuffer is possible, showing it on a PC. e-readers for testing would then come cheap So far I am aware of the `sunxi-tools` and the onboard serial port, but unsure if these can help.

As for now the options are twofold:
- updating to firmware 6.x, and syncing it with my Lux 5. Updating will be the hardest part, but could be done side-by-side with the Lux 5... though 6.7 didn't make it to the lux4 yet. Might need to go back to 6.5 on the Lux5...

- keep it at firmware 5.x. If someone can supply a more completely populated 5.x books.db, I'd drop that in for testing (got a 5.x explorer.db once).

To be continued...

As an aside, the e-reader market here seems bonkers. 12 year old Kobo Touch/Glo's get bids up to 50E easily, even with the model ID mentioned (if for, say, inkbox development, understandable). For a Sony this seems more logical, being discontinued alltogether. Broken pocketbooks (screens usually) tend to go cheaper.

Last edited by wold; 01-28-2024 at 04:45 PM.
wold is offline   Reply With Quote