View Single Post
Old 12-26-2023, 10:27 AM   #7
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
You don't know what size a page is, but you can make an image approximately fit the screen with css
height: auto;
width: 95%;
( or vice versa)
No, that's not enterely true. What happens with an image whose width is bigger than its height (let's suppose an image of 300px x 100px)?. With your code:

Code:
height: auto;
width: 95%;
the image will take a half of the screen at most. If you, for the same size image, instead use:

Code:
height: 95%;
width: auto;
you won't be able to see the full width (at most, you'll see half width). And even more, the height of 95% will generate issues, because the image will take 95% of the height of the container and, what is the height of the container? Where is defined such height? If you don't want to worry about the size of a page or container, you have to work with viewport units. Of course, under the epub2 world that can be an issue. But we can't speak as if the world were only epub2; there is code for epub2 and there is code for epub3.

Quote:
A "Full page" image and text flowing round it is a nonsense in an ebook. Though you can have float, it fails on many platforms...
That statement is gratuitous, with nothing to back it up. And what is freely stated can be freely denied. If we are speaking about epub3, then the layout will be supported for any ereader with proper support for epub3. And I am not going to state something gratuitously, I will do it by citing ereaders with full support for the epub3 protocol. Here you have a list of ereaders that will display properly a full page image:

ADE 4.x (Windows), Thorium (Windows and Linux), Koodo Reader (Windows and Linux), IceCream Ebook Reader (Windows), Foliate (Linux), Readium, Bibi Reader and JSReader (all Sigil plugins on both Windows and on Linux), Calibre Viewer (Windows and Linux), EPUBReader (extension for Chrome and Firefox), ePUB Reader (another extension for Chrome and Firefox), PocketBook (Android), Gitden Reader (Android), Reasily (Android), Aldiko Next (Android), Lithium (Android), OverDrive (Android), Bluefire Reader (Android and IOs), BookFusion (Android).

Quote:
so we never have any "float" in any CSS. No drop caps, image or text based. Ebooks use CSS and HTML, but are not web pages or web sites.
Before those words you should have added the phrase "according to what I think". What you wrote is what it seems to you, but it is not the absolute truth. You have a very old idea about what a modern ereader can offer (Readers have evolved a lot since ADE 2.x). In fact, I demonstrated in my post that it is not only possible to obtain what the OP asked, but that the results are desirable.

Last edited by RbnJrg; 12-26-2023 at 10:53 AM.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote