View Single Post
Old 04-24-2009, 12:02 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HDX 8.9, AuraHD, Nook HD+, Kindle 2,3,T , Opus, Nexus7, iPhone5, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram View Post
I haven't listened to the audio, but the slides talk about availability of pirated copies in terms of seeds and leechers, which implies that they're only looking at Bittorrent, which may not be a very good measure of availability. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but my impression is that most e-book piracy revolves around Usenet and IRC, plus there is (was?) the massive publicly-accessible FTP server run by someone in the Usenet e-book piracy community. OTOH, piracy via those mechanisms is obviously much harder to measure.
It's impossible to track this kind of thing once a file is out in the wild. Books are pirated through torrents from sources like Demonoid somewhat, but IRC, Usenet and darknet forums (using anonymous file hosts) are huge distribution points and there is no way to get accurate hard data on those sources for the most part.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote