View Single Post
Old 12-17-2023, 04:51 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Which proves nothing except that someone was willing to say s/he'd read the book.

Years after release, early reviews and biased ratings will long have ceased to matter unless there were only early reviews, which tells the story in itself.

No matter how you try to micromanage the system at Goodreads, it's never going to work the way you want it to. It can't, even if GR had the motivation. So you can either live with its perceived flaws or go back to maintaining private lists of books and only reading reviews from the legitimate press and taking recommendations from trusted personal sources. And in fact, GR is very good at the latter.
But how long does it take for any rubbish ratings to no longer matter? The reviews you can figure out they are rubbish when you go to read them.

Lets say I give a new book a month. Is that enough time? I cannot say. I know when real ratings start to come in, unless they are replacing the rubbish ones, they won't matter until enough ratings come in and enough rubbish ones get replaced with real ones
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote