View Single Post
Old 12-05-2023, 10:12 PM   #10
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post

Thanks Uncle Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I've read a few of these too - Project Hail Mary was one of my favorites a couple years ago and I've had Speaker for the Dead on my TBR list for a long time.

I don't want to pressure you but, like with Uncle Robin's books, I haven't even heard of several of these authors or books. Do you have some place where we can see why you liked them?
Let me see what I can do.
I don't have an account at any of the reader sites, like goodreads, storygraph etc, so can't point you to any of those. And I don't really want to write reviews for all these books, when there are so many existing reviews out there already.
I provided the Wikipedia links for the 5/5 for a synopsis of the story.
I can provide links for the 4/5 books. Just give me a few days and I'll slowly edit the links into the post.

When I rate, the rating is made up from a combination of factors, with each factor relying on the previous ones...
1. Storyline - how enjoyable was the story, was it believable or so well written and/or interesting that I could easily suspend belief
2. Engaging - how well did it keep my attention. Did I struggle to put the book down
3. Emotions - the big one. What emotional reaction did it elicit from me.
4. Satisfaction - overall satisfaction with the book once I finished it.

Why a 5/5?
1. The story was excepational
2. Couldn't put the book down, didn't want to put the book down. Lost track of time. Had to be yelled out to put the book down and get off my a$$
3. I was a complete mess. I was either crying, or laughing out loud, or jumping up and whacking the punching bag in anger.
4. 100% satisfied. Kept thinking about it for days and days, even after starting the next book.

... down to...

Why a 1/1
1. Stupid story. Didn't understand the point
2. Struggled to pick it up and then ended up just skipping through the story, picking out the highlights
3. Frustration
4. <10% satisfaction
Karellen is online now   Reply With Quote