View Single Post
Old 12-05-2023, 04:15 PM   #6
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I added some emphasis in the original post about providing a sentence or two on why you are recommending these books. If anyone doesn't have time (or inclination) to provide a review here or a link, that's fine - lists are still helpful and fun to see. I'm grateful for anything that gets posted here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
What were the best books you read this year?
1. Sticky: The Secret Science of Surfaces by Laurie Winkless
2. Terry Pratchett: A Life With Footnotes: The Official Biography by Rob Wilkins
3. Borrowed Words: A History of Loanwords in English by Philip Durkin
Thank you! I really enjoyed the Terry Pratchett biography too. Do you have a couple words about why you recommended the others (and that one)? I have never heard of the other two authors or books. If Laurie Winkless is as engaging as Mary Roach I'd be interested in that one. Maybe you've discussed them in the What are we reading? thread? If so, I can go look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
150 books read so far in 2023.
I've read a few of these too - Project Hail Mary was one of my favorites a couple years ago and I've had Speaker for the Dead on my TBR list for a long time.

I don't want to pressure you but, like with Uncle Robin's books, I haven't even heard of several of these authors or books. Do you have some place where we can see why you liked them? A quick review in the "What are we reading" thread or a mini-review in a challenge thread or on Goodreads? Or can you provide a sentence or two on some of these to help us have context? If you do have something out there, I don't even need a link, just knowing where to search would be great. I don't mind doing the work, I just don't want to go looking if there's nothing to find.

Lists are great when I know that I have overlapping or contradictory tastes with someone but they are less helpful when I don't know your preferences clearly. For example, I've read and enjoyed several of the authors that Karellen rated 4 or 5 stars (Adams, Corey, Card) but others I have really disliked (B. Herbert, Patterson) so it would be helpful for me to understand the "why" behind at least a few of these ratings so I can judge for myself how to react.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote