Thread: New Fire Max 11
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2023, 06:34 AM   #8
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It wouldn't matter to me either way. I have all the apps I need on iOS (and then some), and better devices to run them on. It has been years since I've used an Android device regularly, much less required these to do anything important.

I was just noting that the situation has not really improved despite the many years Amazon has been at this. It suggests their claims about Fire being a 'productivity' device are inflated, and that they do not care. Never mind Google apps, why no Edge browser, for example, when they're already promoting Office running on there? Who said 'no', Amazon or Microsoft? Did it even come up for discussion?

For the most part, I approach Fire on its own terms, and that means I pretty much ignore the Appstore.
You can run Edge on it, it's not in the Amazon Appstore but you can get it from the Play Store or somewhere else if you want it. I'd imagine Amazon wants the default browser to be theirs so they can make money from search. The only reason I could think to prefer Edge over Silk on Android is if you really want to sync tabs between desktop Edge and the tablet. They are both Chromium browsers at the end of the day.

As sad as it is I think it's probably easier to be productive on a Fire 11 Max than a 1TB iPad Pro with 16GB RAM especially if you're willing to go outside the bounds of Amazon's ecosystem. Android apps like Termux just greatly increase what you can do compared to iOS. I found that I could do more of my work anyways on a $80 Fire 8 HD than my 10" iPad Pro. It wasn't fast, but at least it could do it whereas on the iPad I had to remote into another computer to do anything and live with all the problems that caused.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote