View Single Post
Old 04-19-2009, 10:43 PM   #45
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GntlmnBndt View Post
I tried using the tilt/scroll feature for a while -- it seemed like a perfect fit for those times I was stuck standing on the bus and had only one hand free. Unfortunately, I could never seem to hold steady enough, it was just too sensitive, and text would keep shifting as I was trying to read. Very uncomfortable.
Yeah, the bus ride can be a problem, depending on the driver, and on whether you have a seat.

Quote:
Eventually I got quite used to holding the Touch in one hand and tapping with my thumb, and it has become a very comfortable position.
What I'd like is to be able to just flick my wrist a little, & get the next page. Or at least, I think I'd like it.

Quote:
On the other hand, I am also not using Instapaper much these days, so it is something of a non-issue.
I find myself using Instapaper more & more. Unfortunately, I can't put it on my work computer, so when I'm browsing around (on my lunch hour, honest, officer!) I have to do a "send link" to my home computer, or my iPhone, & IP it later.

It occurs to me that the reading experience is being deconstructed. First, it moved onto television. The books went to Masterpiece Theatre, the magazines to 60 Minutes, and the newspapers to the Evening News. Now the reading experience has migrated to computers on blogs, podcasts, audiobooks & RSS, and is on its way to ebooks and telephones. Meanwhile, reading itself is being broken up into "chunks" that fit the various media accessing the reading material. What works on my Sony 505 does not always work on my iPhone, & vice versa. The kind of stuff I read on my iPhone via Instapaper is really not worth downloading to my 505, even using the Bookit widget that sends things to calibre. What I listen to on audioblogs wouldn't work on television.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote