View Single Post
Old 06-16-2023, 03:53 AM   #4
Grimaud
Guru
Grimaud could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Grimaud could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Grimaud could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Grimaud could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Grimaud could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Grimaud could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Grimaud could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Grimaud could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Grimaud could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Grimaud could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Grimaud could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS-650
Short version:

It should be possible, but depending on how you're planning to read the stored article, may not be that easy to do or even a good idea to begin with.

Long version:

If you were to pay someone to host Wallabag, at 9 € per year, the official Wallabag instance is probably cheaper than what you'll pay a webhost service yearly, and it's operated by the creator of Wallabag itself. It's probably also the cheapest way to have Wallabag, taking into account the time needed to learn to set it up on your own computer.

Regarding hosting Wallabag on your computer, if you don't need to access the stored articles outside your computer, it's possible and shouldn't be to hard to do so: the installed Wallabag instance will have no problem getting and saving articles (at least if a Wallabag connector is available for that website and if the website is built in way making it possible to create such connector).

Apache on its own is not enough: you'll need to install at least PHP and the modules named in the link in my previous message. Wallabag need a database. The simplest way to have one is to use SQLite (it's an SQL database store in a single file), which mean you'll have to install pdo_sqlite module.

I don't have an how-to to share, sorry, because I never tried hosting something directly on my own Mac: at best, I used Virtual Machines to test services before hosting them on a real server.

If you need to access your article outside of your computer or your home network, it's also possible but you'll have to do more and if you don't know what you're doing, you could end with your computer or your home network too open to the outside world (they are plenty of bad actors out there).

Even if you do know what you're doing, you could end with opening your computer to the outside world more that you thought…

Last year, a company (I think it was LastPass) suffered a security breach and if I remember correctly, the entry point was the laptop of one of their engineers: the person in question had a vulnerable software running on it, accessible from outside of his home network.
Grimaud is offline   Reply With Quote