View Single Post
Old 04-19-2009, 02:55 PM   #119
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
D'oh!
Any chance that the story would stand on its own, even without specific and recognizable Star Trek characters as part of it? If so, consider altering the settings and characters and writing it as wholly original fiction. (That's how I ended up with my Kestral stories.)
Nope, it's a sequel to a TOS episode. But I'll stick it in a drawer; someone will do a new Star Trek anthology in the future.

Novels are where the money is; my problem is that I'm so much better at writing shorts than novels. You have to fill *so much* in a novel... and yet it can't be just boring, unimportant diversion. You have to write pages and pages where essentially NOTHING HAPPENS yet still make it interesting. I've got a half-dozen novel outlines that I can't complete because they're not fleshed out enough. I *finally* made a breakthrough with my fantasy novel that has me thinking I can fill 200 pages or more, but I'm leaning heavily on the Hero's Journey tropes to do it. And it's frankly one of my less interesting ideas; I'd much rather write one of my other stories first.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote