View Single Post
Old 05-14-2023, 07:18 AM   #1
hipercol
hipercol began at the beginning.

Device: pw1, aura hd
Finally hit a roadblock with ADE & ACSM on Windows XP. Are there any alternatives?

I would upgrade if I could but that's not an option ($) right now. I use XP for my very basic needs and until a few months (probably) I had no issues getting EPUB files from ACSM. I used Reader for PC (a Sony piece of software) and ADE 2 and 3. I also had the Overdrive software for PC, to get audiobooks. Coincinentally or not, when this stopped working ADE also did (Reader had been inconsistent for long now but occasionaly did work?).

Now, I seem I can't find alternatives:
- Calibre isn't supported past version 2, on Windows XP. DeACSM plugin won't work.
- The standalone of the said plugin throws various errors on Python under XP (2.7 and 3.4) and my abilities aren't beyond than copy pasting commands.
- I have a headless Raspberry Pi server, so no Calibre GUI, with Python up to date and the same standalone plugin version throws different errors than the XP versions but I'm at the same end.

The weird thing is that I tried to get the .acsm content (epub) on another persons pc with Windows 7 (ADE 3.x) and it downloaded no problem. Which leads me to believe it's something with the OS and probably with security certificates and whatnot. Also, when I try the .acsm on my pc, no matter what error it throws, it renders that authorization used because if I try the same .ascm file on the other computer, it shows the license belongs to a different user (or something like that). So, I need to download a "clean" .ascm file and only open in on the pc it can run from (Windows 7).

And this is where I stand. I've been managing using my friends pc but would prefer to keep using mine if there's a fix for Windows XP. As for Calibre, I don't have any issues DeDRM files, not even the Kindle versions I download from Amazon for USB transfer. Nor the ePubs I grab using W7. My issue with .acsm files in XP is getting the content itself. And I can't find any alternative software to get it.
hipercol is offline   Reply With Quote