View Single Post
Old 03-02-2023, 08:07 PM   #22
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightjar View Post
We only use 3 different fonts: 1 serif and 2 sans serif. And of course there are all the related variants (italic, bold, bold italic, and so on). Of course, if you count them all, the total is quite high, so we will probably get rid of the condensed sans serif versions, which will reduce the total number – and the total size – by more than 40%.
In any case, we have always used quite a wide variety of fonts since the publication of our very first ebook 11 years ago, and it has never been a problem to produce ePub2, Apple and Kindle ebooks.
With 28 fonts, you've never had a problem with Kindle showing and displaying those fonts? hHnestly, I find that exceedingly hard to believe. Kindle renderers have been acutely sensitive to more than a few fonts--I'd say, 10 at the absolute outside--for years now. In fact, typically, if we submitted that many fonts, ALL the fonts would be removed--ripped out entirely--and I've seen that more than once. You're saying you routinely submit 25-ish fonts and that's never happened?

Quote:
We have some very specific typographical rules. For example, one of these states that the very first line of text after a blank line should not be indented, and our CSS programmer suggested to use the <article> tag to manage this kind of layout and maintain full compatibility with WCAG 2.0 AA accessibility requirements.
Right--we use the same typographic rules. What's that got to do with using article? Why not just use a regular CSS call? There's nothing that indicates that article should be used for your purpose; it's literally meant to identify something unique, something that should be extracted and read by itself--not the next paragraph-in-sequence. Seriously, look it up if you don't believe me.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote