View Single Post
Old 12-26-2022, 05:53 PM   #3
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I am curious. Are you interested in obtaining one of these devices? If so, why?
This question came about due to a long post on the subject of retaining the ability to decrypt Kindle books so they can be converted to epub format. I own six Kindles, with 2 eink models. The best I can do is download AZW or MOBI files with these 2 readers. At some point in the future, Amazon may force all versions of Kindle for PC to adopt the unfriendly KFX version. I doubt that they will orphan any functioning readers, so the ability to download files that can be transferred into the old readers using USB will remain. Anyway, there are issues with converting AZW files on some books with over 500 pages. They read fine on my K2 and DX, but Calibre gets hung converting them to epub. Thus, I'm thinking about purchasing a used 3rd or 4th generation Fire, which will hopefully allow me to download a KF8 (aka AZW3) file. Has Amazon forced all 4th gen Fires to upgrade to Fire OS 5? For those who still own 3rd gen Fires, can you check which Fire OS is present on your reader?
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote