View Single Post
Old 12-22-2022, 10:34 PM   #64
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
It's interesting to use the Kobo dictionary. It's better than it used to be and mostly (from context) seems to have the correct definition. Naturally fails to give any on a lot Joan Aiken and Georgette Heyer sort of Regency or even up to 1970s. Only one I remember recently where the OED definition was obviously a completely different meaning. I forget what word and book, but I suspect the author has used the wrong word. That can't be fixed. I see that more often with newer books.
It's better than it was, certainly, but doesn't get everything, especially older spelling variants. Hinkle was fond of broncho as opposed to bronco, and Kobo doesn't give the definition. However, I think the meaning is clear enough that there's no need to change to the modern spelling.

I can't remember the title where the definition was something completely off the wall, but it was really off! I think it was a book from the 1930s, but I have a fair few of those.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote