View Single Post
Old 12-18-2022, 05:50 AM   #52
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
And, what will happen when tools finally get added into Word/LO to do ACCESSIBLE THING X?

Will you continue to insist:
  • "Nobody does it!"?
  • "Do not use it!"?
  • "It is hypothetical web browser stuff!"?
I'll use real accessibility features.

The HTML specs wanted to abolish <i> and <b> and replace them with <em> and <strong>. Later they retconned and said it was semantics.
Most publishers using <em> and <strong> are simply doing it instead of <i> and <b> and nothing to do with these alleged semantics. It's also irrelevant to TTS. It's more important to promote decent alt text for images. That's the single most important accessibility feature.

Now it's totally true that languages other than western or even other than English do things differently. That's a completely different subject.

But I know that many people swallowed the whole lie of <em> vs <i> and <strong> vs <b> as semantic choices years ago.
It's not going to happen because it's an nearly impossible decision based on an artificial invention to paper over an earlier wrong decision by HTML/.W3C group (depreciating <i> and <b> entirely was simply arbitrary).

After 14 years there is little evidence in the real world of such a semantic choice being made. It's a dead idea and doesn't help accessibility.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote