View Single Post
Old 12-17-2022, 10:43 PM   #47
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by elibrarian View Post
This is to some extent language specific. IIRC j.p.s. is norwegian, and I would suspect they have the same "peculiarities" as we do in danish:

– Only one type of dash (you can use en- or em- as you please, as long as you use the same type consistently), [...] (The emdash-like character sometimes used to signify dialog is a "horizontal bar", unicode ― – if correctly coded).
So, Danish also uses a quotation dash?

Thanks. I wasn't aware of that.

- - -

Side Note: Be careful using the HORIZONTAL BAR (U+2015) in ebooks, there are some issues.

See the discussion back in:

- - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
I know precisely what you mean. I don't use their (maddening) markup code, but I do like the idea of killing italics on currently common words (alibi, role, cafe, etc); killing hyphens on words we don't hyphenate any more (apologies to purists, but to-day with a hyphen is just irritating to me), and a bunch of other simplifications they use.
How dare you!

What if you resumed writing that on your résumé to-day? Who would hire you after they learn the rôle you played in devolving society by removing essential hyphens and italics?

Will you coöperate with the language-/book-police when they come to arrest you?

You know who I won't be reëlecting to lead the Ebook-Editing Club to-morrow? GrannyGrump! When do I want her gone? To-day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
My aim was to show that most of the argumentative post on this subject in the last few years misses the point with the focus on a mostly hypothetical concept TTS & Accessibility and standards invented by people focused on building web browsers.
The advantages/use-cases are not hypothetical. They are real AND being used in the current day.

And, there are also MANY other languages/cases where emphasis (and italics) are handled completely differently.

Even see Braille:

Quote:
Formatting marks

Braille has several formatting marks, sometimes called "composition signs", "register marks", or "indicators", which have no one-to-one correspondence with printed English. These are the number sign ⟨⠼⟩, the letter sign ⟨⠰⟩, the capital sign ⟨⠠⟩, the italic sign (or more accurately the emphasis sign) ⟨⠨⟩, and the termination sign ⟨⠠⠄⟩ (written cap–apostrophe). These immediately precede the sequence (word or number) they modify, without an intervening space.

[...]

The emphasis (italic) sign marks emphatic formatting, equivalent to printed italic, bold, underlined, and small-capital text.[29] A single italic sign emphasizes the entire word (or number). For two or three emphasized words, each takes a separate marker. For longer texts, a doubled marker is placed before the first word, and the end of the emphasis is indicated by marking the final emphasized word with a single italic sign.

When the capitalization or emphasis does not span the entire word, the beginning and end is marked with a hyphen.
And, on emphasis in other languages, see my post from 2021:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Auto-Translation

Many languages don't have such a thing as "italics"... and they represent emphasis differently.

For example, emphasis in:
  • Arabic
    • extra lines above/below, different fonts, or extra stretched-out lettering.
  • Hebrew
    • bolder, underline, or larger gaps between letters (letter-spacing).
  • Chinese/Japanese/Korean
    • extra dots/symbols around characters.

Imagine you were a Japanese reader, and after an English->Japanese translate, every single word in your book titles had extra emphasis dots placed on it. That's not correct.

- - -

Side Note: For extra info on emphasis in other languages, I just ran across this great talk:

She mostly shows examples of Hebrew, but she also quickly skims over Cyrillic (Russian) + Hangul (Korean).

Side Note #2: Remember:

European-based languages tend to have an italics font + emphasis as italics... but the rest of the world doesn't.

And it's only by a quirk of history that both italics/emphasis look the same (in English).

Not all languages are like that!
I strongly recommend reading up on Internationalization.

BILLIONS of people have joined the internet + read/write/speak non-Latin languages + use computers in alternate ways, which is why Accessibility+proper markup has gotten even more important than ever before.

Look at all the tools I mentioned with HTML lang alone:

Many of those enhancements came along + got even better within the past few years.

Someone who properly marked their ebooks THEN would automatically get those upgraded benefits NOW.

- - -

Side Note: And, on a related note, Speech-to-Text got blown out of the water when a new open-source tool just got released 2 months ago:

It handles:
  • interspersed languages
    • Spanish word/sentence in the middle of English.
  • strong accents
  • strange terms/words
  • low-quality audio
    • A 1986 cassette-recorded lecture? No problem!
  • [...]

It can even do:
  • on-the-fly audio translation from X->Y language
    • German audio -> English text
  • Capitalization of terms
    • Person speaks a book title or business name? Yep, it capitalizes it correctly.

I've been running it the past month, and it's fantastic.

If you build it, the tools will come!

- - -

Quote:
I've compared the same book (that has only <b> and <i>, no <em> or <strong> using TTS and human narrator. There is no issue with <b> and <i>. The books I've tried have the German, Irish and French parts marked.
Look at JAWS + NVDA + blind-reader apps.

Watch the DAISY webinars. Heck, even within the past 2 months, they released many videos on the topic:

On some readers:

On production:

And they even had one focused on the European Accessibility Act (EAA)—a European Union law coming into effect in 2025—which is going to push Accessibility on many publishers:

And, on TTS specifically, we already had the discussion 1 year ago:

I described to you some of the latest TTS enhancements.

Quote:
Accessibility is important. Like alt text for images that's a real description and not a caption. Anyone can do that in MS Word or LO Writer.
And, what will happen when tools finally get added into Word/LO to do ACCESSIBLE THING X?

Will you continue to insist:
  • "Nobody does it!"?
  • "Do not use it!"?
  • "It is hypothetical web browser stuff!"?

- - -

Side Note: LibreOffice 7.5 (February 2023) is going to be adding lots of Accessibility checks:

Remember that thing where "nobody uses multi-language markup"? 7.5 will also be supporting many more languages:

(Some of this was introduced to support ConLangs—artificially constructed languages—as well.)

InDesign and Word, every new version, is introducing more of this Accessibility adder/checker stuff too.

- - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
The point is, publishers should be following the standards for publishing, whether they are a big publisher or an indie author. "We've always done it that way" or "We're a big publisher so we don't care about xxxx" or "Typewriter's historically didn't have the ability to xxxxx" isn't really a valid reason to NOT follow the standard.
Yep. Strive towards making the ebooks to the best of your ability.

Imagine Accessibility on a scale of 0 to 100.

You can easily get from 0->80+ just by using proper markup. (Headings, Tables, Images.)

From there, we can niggle about the details.

But to insist on using WORSE markup—when you clearly know better practices—is a huge mistake.

THE END.

Now... do we agree on that final period after the "END."? Or do we remove that superfluous punctuation in our ebooks?

That's the real question graycn wants answered!

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 12-18-2022 at 12:13 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote