View Single Post
Old 12-12-2022, 09:46 AM   #70
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by denisuu View Post
What would you do incase there are no holes in the PCB to solder the connector to, but pads like on the Leaf 2?
It depends. If the PCB layout has pads on the bottom that are electrically connected, I'd grab a scrap of 0.1" perfboard to use as a template and my 0.9 mm carbide drill and drill four holes. If there are no pads but sufficient clearance under the PCB I'd still do that and wire the connector with 30 AWG wire. You could use right angle headers tack soldered to the top, but they'd project more. If you connected with wires you could use a smaller connector than 0.1" pitch, like 1 mm. You could have the connector come out a side slot. It might also be that the Type C connector has Alt Mode for debug.

On my Poke3 the kernel doesn't have the serial driver so there's no Android console. There were holes in the board, but the tolerances underneath are very tight. I soldered in the connector then filed the pins and solder almost flush.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote