View Single Post
Old 04-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Free Ebook: World Fact eBook

The CIA maintains a reference manual called the World Factbook. They used to release a new edition each year; recently they decided to only maintain the online edition. I found it to be an excellent source of information, and wanted to make an off line copy.

The result is what I call the World Fact eBook. It is currently only available in Mobipocket. I decided to focus on Mobipocket because the format has certain specialized html tags. This ebook has a search index for article title, keyword, country name, and flag. It can also be used as a dictionary by most versions of Mobipocket Reader. This means that if you are reading news on, for example the Kindle, you can look up a country name to learn more information.

The current version, 0.7, can be downloaded here. Epub, IMP, and Sony LRF will be available soon.

P.S. This was my first large project. The source material consisted of over 500 html files, and close to 800 pictures. Most of the content on the web pages had to be removed. I wrote a fair amount of code to automate the cleanup. I am looking for a new project where I can repeat the process. If you would like some other website converted into an ebook, please let me know. (Please consider the copyright situation before you ask.)
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote