View Single Post
Old 07-30-2022, 09:35 PM   #54
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Tip #2 on extending an audiobook loan (MP3 format audiobooks via Overdrive): Once you have downloaded the individual MP3 files for the audiobook onto your tablet/phone, simply move (or copy) those files to a different directory on your tablet/phone and have your audiobook app pick them up from the new directory. Come the audiobook due date, Overdrive will attempt to remove the files that are now non-existent in their original directory, but that doesn't do any good. You can keep listening to them from their new directory home. MP3 files do not support DRM, so there is no way to "deactivate" the files on your device. The way loans are closed out is to simply remove the files ... if they can find them.

You will need something called a "File Manager" app to do the file moving. And you will have to know where the files are initially stored by Overdrive. On my Android device, that original location is:
/Android/data/com.overdrive.mobile.android.mediaconsole/files/OverDrive/<name_of_book>

On first use, you will need to grant the File Manager app permission to read/write the original directory. All the File Manager apps I have used prompt you to do this, but sometimes it's a bit confusing understanding exactly what they want you to do to grant this permission.

I don't know if the Apple iOS devices give you low level file manager access to do this file moving. I suspect that they don't. Apple is pretty tight when it comes to giving users any kind of view into their low level operating system stuff. I'm not sure that Apple even lets you know what a "file" or a "directory structure" (a.k.a. "folder") is in the first place. They've got them for sure, they just don't want you to see them.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote