View Single Post
Old 07-24-2022, 06:31 PM   #1
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
"Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents" Footnote Location?

I don't even know where to ask this question. I was reformatting my copy of Prachett's "Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents" and noticed that I couldn't find the referencing location in the text for the last two footnotes.

There are six footnotes. The last one is nested from the previous (fifth) one. That (fifth) footnote reads as:

"People say things like “listen to your heart,” but witches learn to listen to other things too."

If someone has a copy of the book, could you tell me from where the footnote is referenced? The fourth footnote is from the last part of chapter 6. So, I assume that fifth one happens sometime after that. But, I can't find it.

EDIT: All the footnotes are referenced with asterisks (* or **) instead of numbers. I can't find any loose asterisks running around. There are no links back from the footnote text to the footnote references. I can't find any <a href= lines that aren't accounted for. I can't even find any loose <a fragments or href keywords. Thinking I might have done something in my editing, I went back to my many year old "original" (which has still been converted from a Kindle version to epub) and can't find the referencing location there, either. I've also gone back to my archived, original Amazon download and there's no referencing location there. My library doesn't even carry (via Overdrive) the book and I can't find a downloadable version on Archive.org or any other location. I'm beginning to wonder if the footnote even belongs in the book.

EDIT 2: It looks like I was right that that footnote doesn't belong in the book. Thinking that its topic really belonged in either Pratchett's "Witches" novels or his "Tiffany Aching" novels, I took a look around. In the very first chapter of "The Wee Free Men," both footnotes exist. That's really odd.

Last edited by enuddleyarbl; 07-24-2022 at 07:43 PM.
enuddleyarbl is online now   Reply With Quote