View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 11:46 AM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Image information incomplete

I bought this book and downloaded it to the MobiReader. I see a lot of useful information.

What I don't see is how to format images so that they do NOT take up the entire width of the page. He does talk a bit about placing an image within a sentence, but nothing about creating an image that only displays across say 362px of the page. Everyone seems to talk about fullsize images or inline (within a sentence) images, but no one discusses how to make your 326px, 411px, and 247px image display actual size on the page. This is a critical issue for technical works wherein the images might be of different widths but the author does NOT want them to spread across the entire width of the page thereby becoming disproportionate to one another.

I've also used a lot more CSS than the very few examples he lists. For example:

page-break-before: always;
text-transform: uppercase;
margin-top: 6pt; margin-bottom: 12pt

The more generic you make your CSS and HTML, the more likely you can re-use it with different formats--say for the Sony PRS-505s. For example, page-break-before works with most reader formats whereas <mbpagebreak/> only works with Kindles. Single sourcing is very important for multi-platform publication, so avoid Kindle specific tags.

There does seem to be a lot of useful information in his book. However, it is NOT the definitive how-to book on eBook formatting, or even Kindle formatting. And I too am shocked that he didn't use hyperlinks instead of page references. That alone shows the immaturity of his eBook formatting experience. This eBook is way over-priced at $9.99.