View Single Post
Old 02-16-2022, 09:45 AM   #22
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Wireless charging is convenient, but it is slower than plugging in a lightning cable. It is also less likely to overheat while plugged in as opposed to charging wirelessly.

Apple switched to Magsafe from Qi with the iPhone 12 Pros, but kept them compatible with Qi, and apparently changed the coil location again on the iPhone 13 Pros, making Qi charging cradles less likely to work with them. Magsafe is fine if you don’t have a case on the iPhone, but not much good for people like me who actually want to protect their iPhone with a rugged case.

The cameras are much better on the iPhone 13 Pros, but Apple still has zero clue about how to make them user friendly. I messed around with mine last night outdoors. There still is no true Manual focusing available, which makes them nearly useless in very low light situations, especially since Auto focusing doesn’t work well, if at all, in low light. And the whole control system is convoluted and time consuming. The cameras are obviously made for social media and not for much else. They are great for daytime photography, but lack the usability necessary to work in dark areas. The cameras can definitely handle dark scenes, but the user will have trouble getting them to focus without Manual focusing capability. Apple could easily add true Manual focusing via an iOS update, but they won’t. They are too set in their “you get what we give you and you will will like it” ways. So we get a best in class camera hardware system but with a rubbish interface that has hamstrung controls. Bottom line is this, I can set up and capture any photo in any situation in moments with any of my Sony cameras, but it takes a lot of time and effort to capture the same photos with an iPhone (or any other smartphone) because the controls simply are not there. Fishing through a convoluted menu system to capture a once in a lifetime photo is a recipe for failure. So camera hardware gets a best in class, but camera usability gets a D- grade.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote