View Single Post
Old 02-10-2022, 12:05 PM   #72
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post

A book I just could not read is War and Peace. I don't read French and I'm not a fan of footnotes nor snobbish aristocracy unable to speak their mother tongue. If I ever find a version where all the french parts are translated within the text itself (maybe in italics or something), I will definitely give it a go.
I highly recommend the Ann Dunnigan translation. In effect she signals that a passage was originally in French by starting off with a word or two and then shifting to English. And aside from that, it’s a very smooth, readable version.

In fairness to Tolstoy, for someone with even limited French chops the French bits wouldn’t pose a difficulty, and they get fewer and fewer as the book progresses.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote