View Single Post
Old 03-30-2009, 09:33 AM   #10
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Good point but the other side of the argument is that eReader requires a valid credit card. What happens if you no longer have the credit card? You find yourself in the same situation? What's worse is what if you've bought several books over the years with different credit cards, now you have to maintain a list of which books where authenticated with credit card 1 ,2 etc..

Also eReader is tied to one company. That means the eReader client and the eReader eBooks are all tied to one company, a double whammy if that business goes out of business, or now that B&N owns them they decide to shut down that division.

Though I do prefer MOBI, I'm not arguing mobi is a better solution, I'm just pointing out that there are two sides to every format every one has their strength and weakness.

.... AND the culprit always comes down to DRM.

=X=
I don't really care for DRM period but at least with eReader you are not tied to a set of devices if the company goes out of business. A set of devices that eventually become obsolete and are replaced. Then you can't load your DRMed mobi files because the server that generated the original files is gone. Since you only need the last eight numbers of the CC to unlock the eReader files, I keep that in my password program so it's always available. As long as I possess the unlock code and have a device that runs the eReader software I can read that file.

I've used the eReader software for many years so I am partial to it but Mobi is more widespread. Personally I'd rather have DRM tied to a file and not a device.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote