View Single Post
Old 03-28-2009, 09:30 PM   #5
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
And the winner is: FBReader (so far).

I tried Stanza on 4 different formats (rich text, html, .lit and .pdf) of the same book and all of them ended up with spaces separating each paragraph: definitely a dealbreaker. As far as I could tell, rotation was not available and there were few options for customization.

Mobipocket was okay, but again no apparent rotation and it would require conversion of my current files.

I tried Calibre earlier today, too, and it had the same issues as Stanza, plus it was much slower loading, unintuitive and, well, ugly.

FBReader isn't perfect--it doesn't cover the proprietary formats (.lit, .pdf, .mobi), and while it kept the paragraph indents and didn't add extra spaces, it also ditched the spaces at chapter breaks. Still, I had my book loaded, fullscreen, rotated and readably formatted with custom key bindings inside of two minutes--that's what I call intuitive! It also loads up quickly with an inviting interface.

Thanks for the recommendation, wallcraft =)
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote