View Single Post
Old 12-30-2020, 11:36 AM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burktross View Post
I am a bit disappointed in the light itself though, only because I had false expectations coming in. Don't know where I got the idea from, but I was under the impression that the glow light was embedded between the e-ink screen and the frame, casting light from the outside onto it. Instead it's a diffuse backlight; softer on the eyes than a phone screen, for sure, but still a bit more grating than a clip on booklight. The glowlight also has weird artifacts towards the top, but it doesn't impede reading.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but an eInk screen can not be backlit. The display is opaque. What you are looking at is LEDs at the edge of the screen with the light being diffused across the screen by a light guide to even out the light. As you have noticed, this is not perfect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	light_guide.png
Views:	359
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	184375   Click image for larger version

Name:	eink_capsules.png
Views:	369
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	184376  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote