View Single Post
Old 12-08-2020, 01:04 PM   #6
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I am at 50%. I got delayed because I didn’t finish it in time from the library and had to wait to recheck it out. I’m glad I read the introduction first especially since it told you to pronounce the “k” as “ch.”
I remember you saying you would earlier. I waited until the end to circle back and read it. After finishing the book I wasn't surprised by much of what it said... except that! LOL. I spent the whole book thinking of the name with a hard k.

Speaking on pronunciation, I can see why there is no audiobook for this yet. They would have to find just the right narrator who could not only pronounce all the names correctly, but also do proper accents well enough for the various characters.

One other pronunciation issue I wondered about while reading was the pervasive double letter. I was imagining them as like a linguistic stop and then start again with the same sound, almost like a stutter. So in my mind for instance ppookino was pronounced 'p-poh-oh-kee-noh', kiyiika 'kee-yee-ee-ka', etc. I honestly have no idea where in my subconscious I came up with that but it sounded vaguely correct-ish, although I could be totally mispronouncing everything.

Last edited by sun surfer; 12-08-2020 at 01:07 PM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote