View Single Post
Old 03-24-2009, 05:39 PM   #16
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by gokalp View Post
I also have the 6" eink reader PRS 700. It is very good for casual reading, but for technical journals, the text becomes just to small to read, especially in double column papers.
Why not just use any of the free tools here to split the columns? I think all of the programs I listed earlier (PaperCrop, PDFLRF, SoPDF, etc.) can split a two-column PDF in half... as can similar programs like PDFRead and Rasterfarian.

For those journal articles that aren't multiple-columns, I find that removing the whitespace, and putting in landscape (thus spanning the page over multiple flips) is more than sufficient to make the fonts readable.

The only PDFs I've had trouble making readable on my Sony (and even then I can do it) are those that come from pre-published material, where someone is using a 8.5x11 paper with minimal margins and not dividing it into columns. E.g., a paper written in Word or something. Then, however, you can often ask for the source file.

This would never happen with published material, since professional type-setters know better than to have lines that wide, even in academic journals. They either use smaller paper, or use columns. If they use columns they can be broken up. If they use smaller paper, you may still get PDFs formatted to print on 8.5x11, but this usually only means there are massive margins that you can strip away with any number of (free) tools.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote