View Single Post
Old 09-13-2020, 03:51 PM   #11
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
This book has 1,515 pages, and is 2¾" thick, 5½" wide x 8½" tall.

I bought it before the Kindle version was released, and had contemplated cutting the spine into 3-4 smaller sections for reading.

Adding, I have the book in Kindle version, but have not read it yet. One of these days...
Right and presumably, it's published by some trade publisher that's willing to risk the falling-apart-y-ness of a book that large/thick. Generally speaking, perfect binding, which is what that looks like, is limited to 2-2.25", not more.

In the POD world, where the printer (Amazon, etc.) is the entity taking all the risk, effectively, they're just not going to do that.

4500 pages? For Amazon, that would be...let's see...if we assume that 800 pages is a skoosh over 2" deep--but let's just go with 2" for the ease of the math, even though it's closer to 2.25--then 4500 pages would be 5.6x that, so 11.2" deep. I don't think you could get that sucker off the bindery without it falling apart!

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote