View Single Post
Old 10-03-2006, 11:48 AM   #3
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Good tip there Village Reader!

I think the DRM issue is not that easy. For me, personally, it looks like this:

If I can get my ebooks faster, easier and more comfortably via legal sources, be they with DRM or without then I'll go that way.
It it's eaiser and more convenient to just download them for free, then that's the obvious choice.

I noticed a big change when I discovered iTunes. Ever since the day I found out about that nice little program, I haven't pirated any music. The reason is, that it's dead easy, comfortable and they have just about everything at reasonable prices. The DRM isn#t an issue for me in that case, because I don't use any PAP (Portable Audio Player) regularly and thus don't have to worry about incompatibility.

At the moment, the problem with ebook is, that they are a major hassle. I had to install Microsoft Reader, register a Microsoft Passport (whatever that is...) to be able to activate it, activate the reader and only then could I actually load the book I paid for. The I had to remove the DRM, do a "convert-lit", put the resulting HTML files in OpenOffice to reformat them and then convert them to PDf. Does that sound easy? Nope...I guess it doesn't.
So, at the moment i'm not happy with ebook DRM. I have suggested injecting user-data into ebooks to discourage casual sharing. There are surely other options as well, but anything that is going to be used on various mobile devices needs to be fairly generic and very compatible, like mp3 for audio...and it's really hard to implement any sort of DRM or Copy-Protection there...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote