Originally Posted by sigma8
I do have some gripes with my 505. I'm trying to edit myself down here, from my original 5-page version of just a couple silly points. Here's the short version, and let me know if you have questions:
- PDF support is great, but many PDF's suffer on the 6" screen (even in landscape)
- Reflow is also great, but its effectiveness is a crapshoot
- LRF files (very common, especially in the free books section here on mobileread) have to perform a pagination process the first time you open them up or switch fonts; this can be several minutes long if the book is huge
- ePub currently doesn't do justified text (the spec was updated to support it, hopefully we'll see a firmware update soon); I'm also a little confused about how ePub handles page numbering.
- the little navigational wheel (up/down/left/right+enter) is annoying if you are navigating among a lot of items (screen updates are slow); this problem crops up with news feeds from Caliber (not too bad, though) and the contents and index sections of tech books that I bought (bad; tap...tap...tap...(repeat 10 more times)...enter!)
- shopping for ebooks online is a frustrating experience, since there is no ubiquitous format (and no device that supports it). PDF is actually the closest thing to one, but see the first two bullet-points on that.
- as of ten minutes ago, a new irritation! I just learned that Adobe Digital Editions are built from one of two publishing formats: PDF and ePub. ePubs work great on the reader, but there's no way to tell if a particular ADE book for sale is built using PDF or ePub.
- the free flip cover is good for protection, but annoying while reading (IMO); I often pop the reader out of it (easy to do). I wish it was able to bend all the way back without feeling like the spine was going to pop off (in a permanent "oh it's broke now" kind of way).
The basic stuff like controls (apart from in-page navigational ones as I mentioned above), screen quality, form-factor and comfort are superb.
Shopping online isn't much worse for Sony than anybody else. They all suffer from the many different formats out there and at least Sony support several of them.
the PDF in ADE is also the same PDF on Sony so if it is an ADE eBook no matter which format it should work. Even ADE DRM works on both PDF and ePUB on the Sony.