View Single Post
Old 03-13-2009, 10:53 PM   #4
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle 1, PRS-650, Sony S Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiationman View Post
I could understand Amazon being concerned if the scripts in question were being used to illegally distribute or obtain books.
Again, I think that this was the motivating factor.

Keep in mind that their tight control over distribution has probably helped win over publishers/authors (and why so much more content is available for the Kindle than other formats). The scripts have been here for a very long time and Amazon didn't see fit to take action until now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiationman View Post
If Amazon is so stupid that they want restrict my ability to put legally purchased content on the Kindle they can have their device back - I don't want it.
...and this was more a consequence of their effort to stem illegal distribution.

I think Amazon's response was short-sighted but it probably didn't help that when Amazon made Kindle books available via iTunes that some made it quite obvious that they had also opened it up for unintended distribution once the PID was cracked. We waved the red flag and the bull charged ahead blindly.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41015

That being said, if I couldn't read library books via the Kindle, I might reconsider my decision to go with the Kindle. If they don't open the Kindle to other drm formats (like Adboe encrypted pdf), I will be looking at other readers for my next purchase.

Last edited by Boston; 03-13-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote