View Single Post
Old 12-17-2019, 07:08 PM   #58
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
It's obvious to me that I don't see Bendrix as being as rotten as others do. He was adrift, he was miserable - if Sarah didn't judge him but thought him full of love, I'm willing to take him on that basis. It doesn't mean that I defend his going to Savage, but I don't think his worst actions define him. He was fighting his own demons.

ETA: Does anyone have an idea what the name "Bendrix" could mean? I haven't come up with a satisfactory interpretation. I take Savage to mean someone entirely without a moral compass. Miles I read as the Latin word "soldier." Bendrix is odd enough that I think it's not random, but what?
Two quotes that define the Bendrix character for me, one from the start, pretty much our introduction to the character:
Quote:
‘How’s Sarah?’ I asked because it might have seemed odd if I hadn’t, though nothing would have delighted me more than to have heard that she was sick, unhappy, dying.
and one from closer to the end:
Quote:
In the taxi I let my hand lie on her leg like a promise, but I had no intention of keeping my promise.
Everything, from start to finish, always about himself, with no care or concern for anyone around him. Even as we get to the absolute end:
Quote:
You’ve robbed me of enough, I’m too tired and old to learn to love, leave me alone for ever.
it's still all about Bendrix. If this was Greene is disguise, I find it perfectly obvious why he should have struggled with his faith.

As for the name "Bendrix", it made me think of Benadryl - it's been around since 1946, apparently. Doesn't seem likely. Not sure this helps either:
Quote:
‘It’s a long time since we’ve seen you, Bendrix.’ For some reason I am a man known by his surname—I might never have been christened for all the use my friends make of the rather affected Maurice my literary parents gave me.
, but I did wonder if it was significant to the author.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote