View Single Post
Old 03-13-2009, 02:15 PM   #7
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
If there is a bias, I'd like to correct it. I don't want to see devices brushed aside cavalierly, nor should members here be marginalized becuase they went against the groupthink. I'd like to hear from anyone who doesn't own an ebook reader with an Eink screen. What do you think?
There are two kinds of LCD displays
1. those that can work without backlight - like on very old palms, calculators and digital watches and old monochrome mobile phones
2. and bright ones that need backlight - a good example is notebook display, modern color mobile phones.

My first e-book reader was a notebook (several of them).
I look at the bright screen for 8 hour a day at work and several hours at home and I have no problem with that, but when it comes to reading e-books ...

So I got an old Cassiopeia A-11 and later A-20 with display of the first kind. At first my only reason for using Cassiopeia was that it was much more portable. Yet, very soon I started to prefer non-backlight display for reading (despite the fact that Cassiopeia has very low contrast display). I have used my Cassiopeias for years as my primary e-book readers.

Then I purchased PRS-500.
Holy $DEITY!
In terms of readability there is no question for me which is better.
The PRS-500 has the oldest generation of e-ink, and I suspect that my display has lower contrast than it had when it was new. Yet it is still magnitude better for me ...

There are quite a few people here that do not tolerate flashing of the e-ink
and still others that want to read in bed without disturbing their spouse.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote