View Single Post
Old 10-10-2019, 09:36 PM   #41
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
When I mentioned the carpenter who builds a house not retaining rights to it I was using that to illustrate my thoughts, not as proof of anything. Of course physical property is different. It exists. Intellectual property sort of exists and sort of doesn't.

If I write a book I can copyright it and that gives me a chance to make some money on it before everybody else starts printing and selling it. That's what the Constitution intends. It gives the creator a head start. But it's a very limited head start. I can't copyright every word or even every sentence.

Ownership of intellectual property is a mental construct, entirely artificial, that we've chosen to build into our laws because it's good for us, both individually and as a culture. After while it stops being good for the culture and, with rare exceptions, to the creator. Putting books into public domain much earlier than we do will be a cultural benefit.

What we lose by doing that is income for the tiny fraction of books that continue to make money after a year or two.

If I were king I would set the copyright term to 5 years for books. It's a rare book that keeps making money after that. And maybe, with the advent of ebooks and the long tail, 10 years would be better. Not that I want to be king. I'm far too lazy.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote