View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009, 09:19 PM   #5
jbruce
Connoisseur
jbruce has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS 700
I think what you're both looking for is something more like this.

http://www.plasticlogic.com/

According to the manufacturer they developed it for business users. Whereas many of the current eReaders on the market are geared more toward casual/academic users. Unfortunately (and probably predictably) it's not scheduled for release until later this year, and there is no listed price as of this writing.

I personally went with the PRS 700 for the note taking. The Kindle 2 offers notation; however, PDFs are a pay-per-convert option. And, the cursor navigation/highlighting is much like the old IBM Thinkpad eraser stick (of which I was not a fan).

Being a web developer/designer I tend to type pretty fast - and found the delayed response of the PRS 700 keyboard a little annoying. Then I noticed that it caches keystrokes. So, the slowness was mainly me slowing down to wait for the reaction. Now, I just type away and let the e-ink catch up to me - working well so far (and I'm a notation junky).

PDFs on the PRS700 get a little wonky with larger font sizes with regard to line breaks and the like. Would almost recommend converting the PDFs to LRF - using Calibre or similar software. However, for infographics - I really don't think the screen size will be very accommodating.

Cheers,
Josh
jbruce is offline   Reply With Quote