View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009, 12:21 PM   #18
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
since i've had a few questions about this procedure i decided to add some screen caps to make the process clearer to people who are less experienced. detailed instructions (including all the css code needed) are in post 9 of this thread (thanks llasram !!).

(click three times in a row on the image to see it at full size)
1. connect the 505 / 700, and open the folder
Click image for larger version

Name:	1openfolder.png
Views:	3673
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	25429

2. create a new folder called "fonts"

Name:	2fontsfolder.png
Views:	3596
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	25430

3. put the font files inside this folder

Name:	3fonts.png
Views:	3573
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	25431

4. add the css rules indicating where the fonts are, and to use them

Name:	4cssrules.png
Views:	4475
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	25432

5. (very important) output in epub format.

TUTORIAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
here is a step-by-step guide :
1. install calibre.
2. choose the font you want to use for your files. i use "Fontin" family (it has a regular, a bold, an italic, and a small-caps version).
3. create a new folder at the top level of your 700 called "fonts" (case is important : it can be called "Fonts", but you'll have to name it that way everywhere you refer to it).
4. put your chosen font files into that folder (there should be more than one, since usually there will be regular, italic, bold, and maybe some others. also, some font families come with serif and sans serif versions).
5. launch calibre, click on the little arrow next to "convert ebooks", then "set defaults for conversion".
6. on the left side of the dialogue box, click on "look & feel".
7. in the "override css" box in the bottom right quarter of the dialogue box, paste the script from the other thread, making sure to follow the renaming instructions. since i'm using Fontin, the script for me looks like this :
Code:
@font-face {
  font-family: "Fontin";
  font-weight: normal;
  font-style: normal;
  src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Fontin-Regular.ttf);
}

@font-face {
  font-weight: bold;
  font-style: normal;
  src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Fontin-Bold.ttf);
}

@font-face {
  font-weight: normal;
  font-style: italic;
  src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Fontin-Italic.ttf);
}

body {
  font-family: "Fontin", serif;
}
notice i named the "font-family" Fontin for clarity, and in the "source" line (src) i specified the exact name of each file, inside the "fonts" folder i created on my 700.

click ok to save these defaults.

all books you convert with calibre should now use the font of your choice.

HOW TO CREATE THE FONTS FOLDER :
connect your 700 to your computer using the usb cable. wait for it to be recognized. if you are using a pc, you should get a prompt asking you what you want windows to do with this new disk ; ask to view it in explorer (or something like that ; i'm translating from french, from memory here. but in windows XP, the icon for the choice you want is an open folder). you'll see a new file explorer window, with some folders already in it. i believe you should have "database" "digital editions" etc. on the side of that window, you'll have options, including "create new folder". click on that, and rename the folder "fonts".
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote