View Single Post
Old 09-26-2006, 11:13 AM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STGR
@ Xtremegene: Yup, loaded it up and waited for the seconds to tick off on the old atomic clock. The least I could do for my esteemed fellow MobileReaders.

@ Ken Stuart: I think the operative point on the RSS thing might be the difference between being able to use the contents of a paper for your own purposes, and republishing it somewhere else. That's a guess/figure on my part though, so salt to taste. On the light thing ... after seeing the device, I'm really thinking the light is less needed than I thought it would be, which wasn't a great deal to begin with. The page is extremely readable. And since e-ink is opaque, it would have to be a front or edge lighting approach.

@ da_jane: Bob gave you a pretty good breakdown, but for a purely subjective, how it feels answer, I'd tell you it's only slightly slower than I turn a paper page -- and much faster if the paper wants to stick to the next page.

-- addition --
I totally understand wanting to see it first, particularly with the light thing being as important to you as it is. I really think that what's going to make the difference is when folks do start seeing the displays on these things for themselves. There just aren't very many e-ink devices loose in the U.S. at the moment.

The concerns you listed are exactly the ones I had myself. I found that they were less of a concern than I feared. But that's for you to decide for yourself, of course.

The HTML thing is a bit inexplicable to me too. While it's easy for me to say, since I don't have a bunch of HTML I want to convert, it can be converted by MS Word easily enough.

The Librie' formatted stuff I had with me worked quite well, so I expect that the Librie' utilities out there are about to get a whole new level of usefulness. They may require a bit of tweaking to take advantage of RTF (I think the Librie' only did TXT), but that should be it.

Sorry, they wouldn't say anything about wireless.

-- end of addition --

@ yvanleterrible: Thanks, buddy, I'm glad you liked it. I was trying to do my best for all my fellow "regular geek" MobileReaders. It was kind of hard to keep quiet, my tongue is a fair bit shorter than it was. See?

I think you said before that you were pretty close to the border, maybe you can arrange a weekend trip?

Last edited by NatCh; 08-09-2011 at 12:03 PM.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote