View Single Post
Old 03-09-2009, 05:52 AM   #23
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak5 View Post
Just two more Q:
1) Is it possible to convert Mobi into LRF or Epub?
Like Mobi - PDF - Epub? I realize some formatting options might be lost, but is it possible technically?

2) I read that Sony requires PC connection to upload any new e-books and Cybook doesn't. How does it work for Bookeen then? There is no Wifi...
1) Yes. There are a number of apps, but the best to start with is probably an open-source app/suite of apps called Calibre, which will allow you to convert non-DRMed various formats into various other formats, including Mobi/Lrf/ePub. It doesn't itself remove DRM, but there are other programs that can remove DRM from files, including Mobi.

2) No, they both require a PC connection, where they both appear as a standard USB drive. Sony has a Windows app that you can optionally use to manage the device, but it's not required to be used. (The advantage is that it will pre-load the paging of an eBook when it's transferred using it, but all the not using it means is that the first time the eBook's opened on the reader, there'll be a one-off delay while the device calculates the paging.)

The main advantages of the Cybook are that it supports dictionaries & user-selectable fonts, the main advantages of the 505 are that it supports ePub and mechanically 'feels' better.

As for the fragility, just bear in mind that at present, the displays of all these devices are just sheets of relatively thin glass - it's just a matter of being careful to ensure that it's not going to be dropped or that there's no chance of any point pressure on the screen when in a bag, etc. E.g. the cover with the Sony is a decent one for round-the-house, but for travelling, I have a DVD-case type of hard cover I put it in.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote