View Single Post
Old 04-11-2019, 04:42 PM   #23
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
Although the cruft in some EPUB conversions is irritating, I've given up worrying about 'good code', I'll settle for 'code that works'. So, unless it noticeably slows a reader down, the cruft can stay.
I have had books - purchased from authors on Amazon who I consider better than average - that had books so full of cruft that my iphone choked on them.

I spent a LONG time cleaning out the cruft on one of those...obviously created using one of those word processors that is supposed to "just make it work" ... and I ran out of patience. Now, I'm the kind of guy that will spend hours trying to figure out the right regex for something that I could have manually accomplished in a couple of minutes... so for me to give up on that is saying quite a bit.

That author obviously had no clue what his code looked like...as long as it looked ok in his program he was happy... but the result was that I can't/won't buy any other books from him because it was so bad. Imagine the customers out there that don't have the html/css experience of those on MR - they would either never buy from that author again, leave a bad rating, report the deficiencies to Amazon, or maybe all the above! If I was an author, that would be a risk I'd rather not take. Much easier to have basic understanding of what is needed to make a good product...that is what professionals are supposed to do.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote