View Single Post
Old 09-19-2006, 07:32 PM   #9
branko
Connoisseur
branko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enough

Device: Palm Zire
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokos
Branko, I never wanted to criticize you in any harsh way.
No offense taken. I just do not necessarily agree with everything you say. Makes the world that bit more interesting, don't you think?

Quote:
Please try to understand me. This is what gutenmark does - removing the lacks of "naked" Gutenberg txt-files.
It can only do this for as far the TXT format allows it to do so. For example, the following sentence:

Code:
"That is a BOLD STATEMENT you make there."
could be rendered in a myriad of ways. The original printed sentence could have "BOLD STATEMENT" in italics, all-caps, small-caps, bold, and any mix of these. All we, and therefor Gutenmark, can infer from the sentence in the TXT file is that some form of emphasis was used in the original.

PG's recent HTML files however maintain most if not all of these details. Using Gutenmark to counter the shortcomings of plain TXT files is silly if you already have a rich format available that does not have these shortcomings in the first place.

Quote:
LaTeX is a almighty language to get great looking e-books.
TeX is a great typesetting tool, and I wish more people used it. However, you are suggesting that Gutenmark+TeX is much faster than the method I describe. I am willing to bet that for 90% of the people who will only convert a few books, installing and learning how to use TeX on their Windows machines is going to take far more time than the method I outlined.
branko is offline   Reply With Quote