View Single Post
Old 03-17-2019, 01:33 PM   #1
vedg
vedg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch with Wi-Fi, ad-supported
Backing Kindle Touch up before upgrading firmware

Because of lack of suggestions to fix Kindle Touch slowdown, I decided to upgrade firmware to the latest official Amazon version. First I'll upgrade from 5.1.2 to 5.3.2.1. If this doesn't help, I'll upgrade further to 5.3.7.3.

I'd like to have an option to downgrade back to 5.1.2 if the upgrade causes more issues than it solves. How can I back up my Kindle? I have read A: The easy way section here: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kin...Hacking#Backup. The SSH-enabled diags partition instructions README.txt file download link is broken. The even simpler way using Kubrick seems to refer to flashing firmware without prior backing up. So is Kubrick an easy and reliable way to revert to an earlier firmware version, which eliminates the need of system backup? Or is it still safer and recommended to make a system backup beforehand? If yes, does anyone have the now-undownloadable README.txt file with instructions? Or is there a newer, easier way not mentioned in the Wiki? For example this backup script was tested on KT firmware 5.3.7.3, so I'm not sure it will work on my old firmware version; plus the instructions seem to assume already working USB networking, which I don't have yet.

My computer system is GNU/Linux (in case this makes a difference).
vedg is offline   Reply With Quote