View Single Post
Old 12-21-2018, 08:36 PM   #89
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
And/or perhaps the point of notes as a plot device is that it worked well on stage?

I seem to keep coming back to the thought of how much this book felt like a stage play. (Is that the rustle of changing scenery I hear as I turn the page to a new chapter? ) I wonder how many of its shortcomings might relate to translation from its origins - reading on to the subsequent books might reveal more.
I'd love to read the stage play for comparison's sake, but I was unable to find it anywhere. To me it didn't seem "stagey", though; the changes of focus were just a factor in its fast pace. The shortcomings, such as they are (and I don't see them as a significant factor) for me are related to the underlying credibility, and with this type of story if you're not willing to suspend disbelief you might as well move on.

I'm having fun picking flaws, but I still love it.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote